Families in Oldham are being reminded to check whether they are eligible for the free Healthy Start card to give them access to free healthy food, milk and vitamins
NHS figures from May 2022 indicate that 52,000 households which had previously received paper Healthy Start vouchers had not successfully applied for the new payment card.
The prepaid card can be used in over 30,000 shops in the UK to buy any of the following:
- Plain liquid cow's milk
- Infant formula milk based on cow’s milk
- Fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables
- Fresh, dried or tinned pulses, such as lentils, beans, peas and barley
- Healthy Start vitamins – these support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Vitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to 4 years old
Who is eligible for the Healthy Start food card?
If you get Universal Credit, you can apply online if you meet one of the following criteria:
- You’re at least 10 weeks pregnant or
- Have at least one child under 4 years old
- Your family’s monthly ‘take-home pay for this period’ is £408 or less from employment.
If you get Child Tax Credit, you can apply online if you meet one of the following criteria:
- If you have at least one child under 4 years old
- Your family’s annual income is £16,190 or less
- You do not get Working Tax Credit.